Washing my Spirit

Ladora Lake

Keep close to Nature’s heart… and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. John Muir

It was not a good day. They happen, ya know. Sometime in the morning I felt this restlessness rising within me. I lost my anger on a couple of trivial things, calling inanimate things names, as if they could hear and understand. My focus was all over the place. I walked into the kitchen for something and could not remember why I went there (still can’t). These are signals for me that my spirit and soul are in need of more time in nature. So, with a sunny and warm day I made my way to the Rocky Mountain Arsenal NWR. I knew a long walk was the needed therapy. I had just read a post by Dave Showalter whoincluded an image of one of the approximately 50 eagles that have been seen at the refuge. No eagles were spotted but it was just what I needed. John Muir looked to nature as a temple, a place where he encountered his Creator. So, I guess I needed to wash my spirit with a walk in nature.

This entry was posted in Clouds, Lake, Landscapes/Rural, Quotes and tagged , , , , , .

1. David Leland Hyde February 5, 2012 at 11:47 pm #

Nice cloud. I like the trees too. Well seen as usual Monte. I like how the tops of the grass clumps echo the trees, but I might crop the lower part of the grass. My father would have kept all the foreground like you, but I think the photograph might be more beautiful cropped.

• Monte Stevens February 7, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

I intentionally kept the foreground and even wanted more but I as not in a good place for that too happen. It was a muddy mess to attain any more. I will have to play around with your suggestion just to see what it looks like.

2. Paul February 6, 2012 at 6:16 am #

I’ll tell you, my friend, that’s always the perfect elixir for me, too. Whenever anxiety, sadness, or whatever emotion might bubble to the surface for whatever reason, a walk in the woods or sitting quietly on rock and listening to life go on around me or the wind flowing between the trees … that does it!

• Monte Stevens February 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

We have more in common than just a love for photography. :-)

• Paul February 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

You’re just now figuring that out, Monte?! ;)
        Paul recently posted..CommentLuvMy Profile

3. Anita Jesse February 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

I can’t imagine anything more restorative than connecting with the earth. This image demonstrates clearly that you connected. Beautiful.
    Anita Jesse recently posted..A Cloud of DustMy Profile