Ya Never Know

A hawk is perched at the top of the hill on one of the fence posts

A Surprise

This is the same fence as the one with the meadowlark images I posted yesterday. I was drawn to the leading line and repeating pattern as well as the late afternoon light. I took three images. After loading them in Lightroom and adding keywords I pretty much just left them alone. I revisited the images a couple days later to determine if I wanted to keep them or not. Their color was off, looks like I may have had it set on AWB rather than daylight. In Lightroom I changed the white balance to daylight and liked it much better. However, I found a surprise I hadn’t seen before. At the top of the hill you will see a hawk perched on the fence post. I totally missed it when I took the image as I was focused on the fence and the meadowlarks. The photos of the fence was a last minute thing. Ya, just never know.

This entry was posted in Avian, winter and tagged , , , .

1. Mark February 26, 2012 at 6:55 am #

I think this is an example of how I often end up noticing them – usually just by luck and closer inspection. They blend in so well with their surroundings – something probably the meadowlarks don’t appreciate! :-)
    Mark recently posted..So many megapixels agoMy Profile

• Monte Stevens February 27, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Glad to know it happens to the best photographers, also! They also pop up at the least expected times and places. If this had been a prairie dog town I would not have been as surprised.

2. Steve Skinner February 26, 2012 at 8:11 am #

The hawk was no doubt waiting for lunch.
    Steve Skinner recently posted..What The Ground Hog Didn’t SeeMy Profile

• Monte Stevens February 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

Could be the reason the meadowlark launched in the previous post. :-)

3. Anita Jesse February 27, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

I love it when this happens—to me or anyone else. We think we are fully conscious of the scene in front of us only to discover that we missed a vital piece of the story. Or, do we? Is there a possibility that deep down we “see” more from the beginning? It is an interesting question to me.
    Anita Jesse recently posted..Hanging PicturesMy Profile

• Monte Stevens February 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

That is an interesting question. So, will we see a post about it?

4. Paul February 28, 2012 at 9:28 am #

Now, that is just cool that you found the hawk after the fact! This also explains why there were no Meadowlarks on the fence at this time, either. LOL

• Monte Stevens February 28, 2012 at 9:40 am #

Yes, they knew about the hawk and thus the liftoff.