I think it’s a problem

CSU Transit Center

CSU Transit Center

This entry was posted in Candid Portraits, Documentary/Street, People/Portraits and tagged , , , , , .

1. Cedric Canard September 8, 2017 at 4:37 pm #

It is certainly a sign of the times. I will say I am a little surprised that people haven’t gotten bored with their phones yet. The new opium of the people perhaps?

• Monte Stevens September 8, 2017 at 6:09 pm #

It sure seems to be a drug! However, I’m one who uses it more than I want to admit and am aware of my overuse. I’ve been known to reach for my phone without much thought involved. And, not to use it as a camera. 🙂 Yes, I sometimes do get bored and put it away.
      Monte Stevens recently posted..I think it’s a problemMy Profile

2. Cedric Canard September 8, 2017 at 6:54 pm #

On my phone’s home screen there’s a phone app, a text app, a music app, an email app and a search app. No much to look at. I do look at some of the social media apps on occasion but generally, I don’t like what I see there. There’s a lot of censorship going on for one thing, and interestingly, George Orwell got it wrong. It’s not our governments instigating it but the very businesses that control all the information. The other thing I am noticing is the closed mindedness of people. There seems to be no room for debate anymore. Anyone with contrarian views gets abused (physically or verbally), insulted, shut out. I always thought that humanity’s ability to discuss and debate, to be open minded, was the cornerstone of civilisation. Now it seems that most people are in their own little world, framed by a phone’s bezel, where their opinions get echoed back to them automatically making everyone believe that their opinion is worth something and that anything that creates cognitive dissonance must be immediately eradicated because it’s just too hard to deal with.
    But then again, maybe that’s just me. It’s hard to know.

• Monte Stevens September 9, 2017 at 7:49 am #

Well said, Cedric! I’ll also add there are many who have no opinion simply because they are confined within their phone’s bezel. They have not formed any opinions. I love to hear your opinions and views.
      Monte Stevens recently posted..I think it’s a problemMy Profile

3. Tom Dills September 11, 2017 at 7:09 pm #

Huh? What? Sorry, I was on my phone…. ;). I sometimes think that the distraction of our phones is a problem, but then I realize that there has always been something to distract us. The phone is just the latest thing. It is pretty amazing though, I guess because it is so visible.
    Tom Dills recently posted..Around EdinburghMy Profile

• Monte Stevens September 16, 2017 at 8:01 am #

I agree with your assessment. I question if we’ve had anything on this large of a scale.