Bench and Shadows

Shadows

I saw the shadows from this bench as I came around the corner, almost a half block away. As I walked towards it my mind was looking for the best angle of the light, the composition, the backgrounds and exposure. After I had worked the scene, I had to laugh at myself as I realized how focused I was in getting over there. I could have walked in front of a car. Then there would not have been any image to post. Sheesh!

1. Paul March 21, 2012 at 10:15 am #

I understand the need to follow the shadow, Monte, but you’ve got to be careful, man! :)
    Paul recently posted..WordPress.com P.I.T.A!My Profile

• Monte Stevens March 21, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

It was a bit freaky when I put the camera down and realized I had no memory of crossing the street.
      Monte Stevens recently posted..Bench and ShadowsMy Profile

2. Tom Dills March 21, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

You’ve got to watch where you step before you shoot, Monte!

Love the perpendicular-ness of the shadows to the lines in the sidewalk. Great timing!
    Tom Dills recently posted..That Comfort Zone ThingMy Profile

3. pj March 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Beautiful, and I’m glad you survived it.

Great as it would be as a pure B/W, that slight hint of color really makes it.
    pj recently posted..bits and pieces 22My Profile

• Monte Stevens March 23, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

I almost converted it to BW but I also felt the slight color help add to the impact. Great minds think alike! :-)

4. Earl March 22, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

I haven’t run across the photo yet that was worth dying for…keep one eye on where your at my friend. :-)

Still a nice shadow…
    Earl recently posted..Sidewalk ShadowsMy Profile

• Monte Stevens March 23, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

It really was not that dangerous but I can get lost in my pursuits of images. When I’m driving is the worst. I’ve learned to slow down and pull over when something interests me. I have more images to capture or create or take or experience.

5. David Leland Hyde March 22, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

I like that one. I enjoy photographing shadows and have come up with some interesting shapes too, but none like this. It’s great too because it is completely abstract, yet we know exactly what it is.
    David Leland Hyde recently posted..Tuolumne Meadows Parsons’ Lodge Caretakers Hugh Sakols And Mara DaleMy Profile

• Monte Stevens March 23, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

Glad to know you picked out what it was because it is pretty abstract. Hope all is going well!

6. Ken Bello March 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

On rare occasions the sun comes out here and we see shadows. I photograph them as a reminder that there is a sun and the shadows seem interesting to me.
    Ken Bello recently posted..MINI CAMERAMy Profile

• Monte Stevens March 23, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

LOL Well I think we all shoot whenever it all comes together and we have a camera with us, sunshine or not.